Sunday, November 21, 2010

Flipping A Bitch

Recently my husband and I went away for a weekend. We were driving in the wrong direction and I was about to say, "just flip a bitch" when I stopped myself. I thought, what a stupid expression. Then I thought, "where on earth did that expression come from?"

So, I'm googling "flip a bitch." It means to make a u-turn but apparently due to modern rap songs it is taking on new meanings. One I found is to turn a woman upside down when she is freaking out. Not sure how that will help. I'm pretty sure if I was freaking out and my husband turned me upside down I would bite his leg.

The first time that I heard the expression I was in college. I was late to my art class, stuck in traffic so I drove my Wrangler over the median for an illegal u-turn. I was able to take another route to school. As I sat down in my art class a guy beside me said, "I saw you flip-a-bitch today in your Jeep." I coudln't figure out what he was talking about until he said, "your car goes over medians pretty well. Do you have a lift kit on it?" Oooohhh... hmmm... ok... "yes, a 4 inch lift kit and the tires are bigger than stock as well" was my reply.

After figuring out what "flip-a-bitch" meant I started to use it. Not until I was married with kids did I think, this is kind of an annoying saying. Where did it come from. Well, apparently a lot of people are confused as well. Here is what I found at Urban Dictionary. There are a few other definitions that are not to make an illegal u-turn. It's fairly graphic. Just a warning if you decide to read all of the posts.

I also went to Slang Dictionary. The U-turn explanation was the most common answer.

I still don't know where the term came from. Oh well. Maybe some day I'll figure it out. In the meantime, I am going to stop using it. As a mother I don't like it. Of course, if you use it that's fine. I'm not going to tell anyone what they can or cannot say. I'm a regular abuser of several four letter words. I'm a huge fan of free speech.

No comments:

About Me

My photo

I am an identical twin. I am married with three children currently residing in PA. From California. Attended three high schools in three states and seven colleges in three states in seven years. I have a degree in photography and journalism