Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Try New Things...

A lot has happened in the Oakland Flynn home. For example, we are no longer the Oakland Flynns. We are now the Pittsburgh Flynns. A month ago we relocated to Pittsburgh, PA. To a little suburb called Mt. Lebanon. I came here in March for three days to get a feel for the area. If you had asked me ten years ago, even five years ago, if I would live in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania I would have thought you were crazy. Never in a million years did I think it was possible for me to move my family here.

Our house on Lee Street, our first house, is on the market. Recently the electric meter was stolen. PGE quickly replaced it. How do you sell a house w/o electricity?

The weather here is strange. It's grey a lot. It's humid. It's hot. The bugs are really loud. Other than that it's a very quiet area. We live on a little street above the main park. We're walking distance to the community pool, playground, elementary school.

I feel like we're in Pleasantville.

As a stay-at-home mom I have decided not to be a martyr. I'm not going to spend my time complaining, cleaning, folding laundry, mopping... I'm going to use this time to actually do something. Something that I have always wanted to do. Here is my list:

1. Write. I have always wanted to write a novel. The first time I had the thought was when my 8th grade English teacher, Mr. Cranford, suggested it. He said there is a novel in everyone.

2. Learn to play the guitar. I want to play with Eric Bibb. I am obsessed with him.

3. Train for the Pittsburgh Marathon. What better way to get to know my new town then to run 26.2 miles?!

4. A part of #3 - I want a flat tummy. I haven't had one since the Jurassic age. I think that was in the 90s. I'd really like to wear a bikini again... proudly wear one.

5. Learn to cook. I can make simple things. If I have a cookbook and work really hard at it I can follow a recipe. I really want to know what I am doing in the kitchen.

So, this is the start of trying new things. I am in a new state, new city, new house. I'm going to use this time at home, while Andrew climbs the corporate ladder, to do a few things I've been wanting to do. Maybe I'll document it here in my blog. Maybe I'll write it all into a character in my novel. I don't know. I don't exactly have a strict plan. I'm just going to dive in and see what happens.

No comments:

About Me

My photo

I am an identical twin. I am married with three children currently residing in PA. From California. Attended three high schools in three states and seven colleges in three states in seven years. I have a degree in photography and journalism