Thursday, August 7, 2008

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

A Thousand Splendid Suns A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
Wow! What an amazing book!! One of my favorite books is Hosseini's first novel,The Kite Runner.



This time Hosseini takes us into the lives of two Afghan women. Three decades of life inside a burqa. The story starts with Mariam who at 15 is married off to Rasheed, 40, after her mother dies. Her father's wives don't want her in their house.

The Soviets have control over Afghanistan. During the war between the Taliban, other tribes, and the Soviet Union reduce Kabul to piles of rubble. Rasheed takes a second wife, Laila, 14.

The women suffer beatings and other horrible events in life. Sometimes death seems like the only escape. Although the women are not allowed to have an education they are intelligent, brave, and strong.

After reading this book I knew that nothing I would experience in my life would be nearly as hard as what the women of Afghanistan experience.




View all my reviews.

No comments:

About Me

My photo

I am an identical twin. I am married with three children currently residing in PA. From California. Attended three high schools in three states and seven colleges in three states in seven years. I have a degree in photography and journalism