Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Dangerous Days of Daniel X by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge

A cross between Men in Black and Harry Potter. I read this book in two days. I was thoroughly and completely entertained. My son Aidan enjoyed the bits that I read out loud. I can't wait for the next book. Will Daniel defeat Number 5?

Basically Daniel is an alien hunter on earth. He leaves the good aliens alone. It's the bad ones who want to destroy earth that he's after. He has The List and he also has amazing powers. When he was a child he avoided death from a giant praying mantis, The Prayer, by turning himself into a tick.

His favorite animal is the elephant. His brain has it's own iPod with better sound and a longer song list. He can run faster than a train and can smell an alien from miles away. Who needs a cape and spiderwebs when you're a super alien sent to save earth?

Daniel X isn't the type of book that I would typically choose. I wanted to read it because I have a son who loves to read. I hope that he continues that trend. James Patterson wrote this book specifically for boys. He was responding to a study by the Young Adult lIbrary Services Association which found that boys don't read because they find it to be boring. Because James Patterson has a 10 year old boy he decided to create this series. He not only succeeded in creating a book that young men will enjoy but also young women. I have two friends, both women in their 30s, asking to borrow Daniel X!!

James Patterson's web site

Wikipedia entry for the series
Publisher's website
Excerpt from USA Today
Interview at Borders
New York Times article
Read what other mother's thought of this book at www.mother-talk.com

3 comments:

All Rileyed Up said...

I'll be reading this book for review too. Looking forward to it!

Mommy Mentor said...

I reviewed it too and loved it!

Roz said...

Well written article.

About Me

My photo

I am an identical twin. I am married with three children currently residing in PA. From California. Attended three high schools in three states and seven colleges in three states in seven years. I have a degree in photography and journalism