Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Third Angel by Alice Hoffman



I love Alice Hoffman's novels. Practical Magic is one of my favorite movies. Although I wasn't all that impressed with the book. It just went on and on and on. But, all in all, I do like Alice Hoffman's writing style. It's easy to get immersed in her stories and shut the world out.

In fact, I read this book Mother's Day weekend while staying with my family in Olema. I was able to shut out the kids, conversations, and TV to finish this novel in just two days!

Basically, this is a story about three women. There lives are all very different but their paths cross at some point. All of the women in this book are connected in some way.

There is Maddy, an attorney from NY, who comes to London for her sister Ali's wedding but falls madly in love with Ali's fiance Paul. Paul's mother, Freida, is the daughter of a doctor who expects her to follow in his foosteps. Instead, she moves to London where she works at a hotel and falls in love with a musician. She loves to write. She writes songs about a ghost in the hotel. Maddy and Allie's mother, Lucy, is a young girl who has traveled to London for her stepmother's sister's wedding. She sees a dreadful accident which is connected with the ghost in the hotel.

When the reader first meets Freida she is an older, timid, house wife who worships her son, Paul. When the reader first meets Lucy she is fighting cancer, her husband has left her, and her daughters trust that the white crane in their pond will take them away.

At the end of this book I had to sit for an hour tying together everyone's lives, how they were connected and how their decisions affected each other. I would love it if Ms. Hoffman continued this story with another book. I want to know what happens to Allie and Maddy.

Author's Web Site

No comments:

About Me

My photo

I am an identical twin. I am married with three children currently residing in PA. From California. Attended three high schools in three states and seven colleges in three states in seven years. I have a degree in photography and journalism