Sunday, March 30, 2008

Sydney Half Marathon. Run for Cancer

My dear friend, my running partner from SF, had a very tough year last year. Her husband was diagnosed with colon cancer on July 4th, 2006 while vacationing in Lake Tahoe. Within two weeks they sold everything and moved home to Australia. Just a year later he died at the very young age of 34.

Rebecca is working hard to put her life back together and to care for her two small children. They are the same age as Aidan and Audrey and they miss their father.

In Rebecca's quest to stay strong she has decided to run the Sidney Half Marathon in Steve's honor. Please help Rebecca reach her goal. Below is her e-mail and information.

-----------------

Hello,

As you know my husband Steve Patterson passed away last September after a tough fight against colon cancer. Steve was only 34 and was very brave. He tried very hard and was positive for the whole 14 months of his illness but the cancer was very aggressive. Josh, Emma & I miss him desperately but are doing well overall.

We are starting to pull our lives back together and as part of this it is very important to me to do something positive.

I have never had any experience with cancer before Steve's illness and from the very brief reports I had read in the papers I actually thought we were winning the battle. It wasn't until we were faced with this terrible disease head-on that we realized how many outstanding people (many of them very young) are lost everyday.

Some friends & family members and I are entering into the Sydney Morning Herald Half Marathon to raise funds for cancer research, particularly colon cancer research. We have set an ambitious target of $34,000 (for Steve's age).

The run is on May 18 and being a half marathon follows a scenic course around the city for 21.1km. At present there are 12 of us doing the run and its not too late if you want to join the team (although entries fill up fast and are limited for the race - see here).

So, if you know anybody who has been affected by cancer or if you would simply like to support this cause and/or the memory of Steve then please follow this link http://www.everydayhero.com.au/Teamsmp to donate . Every dollar would help. And of course, feel free to come along on that Sunday in May to cheer us along.

I know that other members of the team are also sending out this link so sorry if you have already received this information but I don't want to miss anybody.

If you know of anyone who may like to support this cause please feel free to share this email with them.

Many thanks in advance
Rebecca

1 comment:

Multifuncional said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Impressora e Multifuncional, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://impressora-multifuncional.blogspot.com. A hug.

About Me

My photo

I am an identical twin. I am married with three children currently residing in PA. From California. Attended three high schools in three states and seven colleges in three states in seven years. I have a degree in photography and journalism