Monday, January 21, 2008

The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman


Ok, so I saw the movie first. I'll admit it. And I really, really liked it a lot. i hadn't heard of Phillip Pullman and his Dark Trilogy so I ordered the book from the library. I pretty much could not put it down. I explained the story to my husband as a mix between Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and one other children's fantasy series I can't remember at the moment.
Anyway, I usually don't like hte changes made to the story when it goes from book to movie but I actually liked the changes in this instance. The Golden Compass, the book, is full of so much and it doesn't flow. It trots along in it's weirdness entertaining the reader while at the same time confusing them.
I definitely did not like the end. I found myself irritated with Lord Asriel and Mrs. Coulter but completely enamored by the gyptians, Iorek Bernisen and Lyra.
I guess I'll read the rest of Mr. Pullman's books. I am curious to find out the end and I don't feel like waiting for the movies since the writer's strike is screwing up all of the release dates.

1 comment:

Dancer in DC said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I can tell you that the series gets better. My favorite was the second book (The Subtle Knife). I felt like a lot of the first book was just setting up for that story.

Happy reading!

About Me

My photo

I am an identical twin. I am married with three children currently residing in PA. From California. Attended three high schools in three states and seven colleges in three states in seven years. I have a degree in photography and journalism