Sunday, October 14, 2007

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen


I just finished "Water for Elephants: A Novel" by Sara Gruen. My mother gave it to me for my birthday along with some fabulous black, felt Dansko clogs. Books and shoes. The best birthday present for a tired mom of two! Very luxurious to receive a book and shoes. It says, "you have time to indulge in a novel and maybe you can wear your new shoes somewhere other than the playground.... at least, that's what it says to me.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this book. I don't think that I would have purchased this book so I'm deeply grateful to my mother for doing it for me. I love the main character, Jacob. The story starts with Jacob not remembering his age. Is he nintey or is he nintey-three. He's recalling his days as a veterinarian in a circus, what brought him there, and what he experienced. Jacob is an amazing young man who believes that all men and animals are equal and he is going to take care of them the best way that he can. The circus culture and life was one of my favorite aspects of this novel.

I don't want to say too much because I want you to read this book. Here is the author's web site: http://www.saragruen.com/

1 comment:

prepossessing said...

I just finished this book today and I too loved it!

About Me

My photo

I am an identical twin. I am married with three children currently residing in PA. From California. Attended three high schools in three states and seven colleges in three states in seven years. I have a degree in photography and journalism