Sunday, October 14, 2007

Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky


So, I recently purchased a six month subscription to the San Francisco Chronicle. I was picking up my daughter at my twin sister's house when a man in a nice suit minus the jacket walks up to us. I could tell he wanted to sell us something and I was determined not to buy anything. But, then I heard his lovely accent and he was so good with the kids. He talked about his daughter learning French on her own. He is originally from the Congo but has been in Oakland for some time ... Anyway, a six month subscription to the Chronicle sounded like a good thing especially since I love the Sunday book section. I read the comics, flip thru the ads, toss the sports, the business, and the other parts ... read the comics first, the travel next, sometimes the front page, always the International page and I save the book review section for the last. This section I savor. I need a hot coffee for this part so I usually fill up my cup, add my cream, and sit down, criss cross apple sauce on the big blue chair with a pen in hand to circle the books I MUST read.

The above book is one of those books. I saw it in my director's book shelf when I moved him from his old office to his new Director's Suite. I must ask to borrow it. So, I circled "Suite Francaise" as well as "Eat, Pray, Love" , "A Thousand Splendid Suns," and a few others I can't remember but don't worry. I clip out the list of NY Times Bestsellers, Chronicle readers favorites, Paperback bestsellers, and other important info I may need in the future for inspiration or reminders.

Last night I opened Jack's copy of "Suite Francaise." It sucked me in. I fell asleep at chapter three. If today wasn't such a busy day I would have spent the entire day reading it. At one point we ended up buying art supplies at Target in Albany. There was "Eat, Pray, Love" I had to have it! I mean, HAD TOO!! So, while my husband was in Costco looking at big screen TVs I started a second book. Wow! I love this one too!! How great is my life?! TWO FANTASTIC books I can't put down!! I can't wait for the kids to go to bed so that I can read until I fall asleep.

No comments:

About Me

My photo

I am an identical twin. I am married with three children currently residing in PA. From California. Attended three high schools in three states and seven colleges in three states in seven years. I have a degree in photography and journalism