Monday, October 8, 2007

My favorite books ... a list

I often think about my favorite books and how I have learned from them. I read a book five years ago by Wendy Orange, "Coming Home to Jerusalem." It's one of my favorite books. I set it free via http://www.bookcrossing.com/ Hopefully someone picked up this wonderful book and enjoyed it as much as I did.
Ms. Orange taught me about the problems in Israel and the West Bank. I was completely ignorant of the situation in that part of the world. Her personal account of her time in the area is beautiful and eye opening.
"Martyr's Crossing" by Amy Wilentz is a novel that I read around the same time as "Coming Home". I also enjoyed this book.
I want to continue writing about my fav books and include a list but the laundry is beckoning.

Here's a short list ... in no particular order ... (will add more later):

Sammy's Hill and Sammy's House by Kristen Gore
King Rat, Taipan and Shogun by James Clavell
Iron and Silk by Mark Salzman
The Bone Setter's Daughter by Amy Tan
The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls
Veil of Roses by Laura Fitzgerald
Harry Potter (all of them!)
Eragon and Eldest
A Series of Unfortunate Events
The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards
My Sister's Keeper: A Novel by Jodi Picoult
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan: A Novel by Lisa See
Pride & Prejudice and all other Jane Austen novels
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Interred With Their Bones by Jennifer Lee Carrells
The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings
Hawaii by James A. Michner
Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriett Beecher Stowe
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The Green Grass of Wyoming by Mary O'Hara
Thunderhead by Mary O'Hara
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
The Bean Trees: A Novel by Barbara Kingsolver
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd
The Thirteenth Tale by Sue Monk Kidd
Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi
The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller
Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader by Anne Fadiman
A Breath of Fresh Air by Amulya Malladi aswell as her other novels
Serving Crazy with Curry by Amulya Malladi
Mango Season by Amulya Malladi
Madras on Rainy Days by Samina Ali
Martyrs' Crossing by Amy Wilentz
Coming Home to Jerusalem: A Personal Journey by Wendy Orange
The Dogs of babel: A Novel by Carolyn Parkhurst
I know why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
The Four Feathers by A. E. W. Mason
Proof (a screenplay) by David Auburn
The Birth of Venus
The Red Tent

No comments:

About Me

My photo

I am an identical twin. I am married with three children currently residing in PA. From California. Attended three high schools in three states and seven colleges in three states in seven years. I have a degree in photography and journalism