Sunday, October 14, 2007

Kindred by Octavia E. Butler


This is by far my most favorite book. My husband will probably tell you that I say that all of the time of a lot of books but this definitely is THE ONE! I don't remember why I picked this book up. I got it from the library. I started it at 8 p.m. I remember vividly the night that I opened the front cover. I was laying on the futon in our bedroom. We were sleeping in the guest bedroom because we were removing wall paper from the master. I went in there, with the sheets on the windows, the floors covered, the wallpaper steamer in teh corner, and I didn't move or put the book down until I had read the last word. It was 3 a.m. I felt like I had a big cry, I was exhausted yet alive.
This is an amazing story!! This is a 1976 version, the first version, of "The Time Traveler's Wife" and "Uncle Tom's Cabin." Both of the books I just mentioned are my favorite stories. YOU MUST read this book!!

In 1979 Ms. Butler came out with this novel about an African American woman in 1976 L.A. who is a writer and married to a caucasian man, also a writer. She is transported back to nineteenth century Maryland where she meets her ancestors and realizes that she has a purpose in this time. She doesn't know when she's going home or how long she has in her real time before she's transported back to the plantation.

1 comment:

Kris said...

OK, you've convinced me. I've added it to my library list! :)

About Me

My photo

I am an identical twin. I am married with three children currently residing in PA. From California. Attended three high schools in three states and seven colleges in three states in seven years. I have a degree in photography and journalism